These stories, documents, and ephemera collectively help tell the story of the Garver Feed Mill building, located off of Fair Oaks Avenue, behind Olbrich Botanical Gardens, on Madison's east side. The main structure, built in 1906, housed United States Sugar Company upon opening. In 1929, the building was purchased by James Russell Garver and became home to Garver Feed and Supply, which would occupy the space until the company closed in the 1990s. A neighborhood fixture and east side anchor throughout its history, the Garver factory building and the original office building have been redeveloped by Baum Revision in partnership with the City of Madison, east side community groups, a slate of local businesses, and neighbors.
The initial story gathering for this collection was funded by a grant from Beyond the Page, with additional support from Madison Community Foundation and National Endowment for the Humanities.